.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sven Wechsler is a standup comic in New York. This is the blog where he posts his observational, stream-of-consciousness ramblings. For video footage and schedule, go to www.SvenWechsler.com

Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Holiday Limbo




In limbo between Christmas and New Years. I'm not much obsessed with the holidays, but the effect on my environment makes an awareness of this period inevitable. When you don't drink, you notice drunk people. And when you don't god, you notice god people.

I just returned from Washington D.C., where I visited my brother and sister and family for Christmas. My family used to pay lip service to Hanukah, as we are half and half (my father is a Jew, and my mother a Swede/Lutheran - all atheists). But, Hanukah has lost its footing over the years, and just can't compete with the neon distraction of electrified Pagan Jesus abuse.

My brother has two children, 3-year-old Aaron and 5-year-old Anna. Both of whom run on high octane and require attention at all times. Fortunately I relate to children on a one-on-one basis more readily than adults, so I spent most of the weekend discussing Spongebob and junglegym diplomacy with the two. No existential angst can withstand the genius of "Be the monster, and I'll hide."

We took the inevitable trip into the city to look at the monuments on the mall. The Vietnam, Korean and WWII memorials continue the tradition of turning this place into a glorious cemetery, with Lincoln at one end somberly looking out the cost of "freedom". I'm not completely ironic about that, but I couldn't bring myself to type "freedom" without quotes, as it has been used as a catchphrase and weapon by politicos for so long, the word seems to lost some of its innocence. No matter where you are in this city, you can see the Washington Monument pointing skyward in tribute to Egypt. Between this and the pyramid on the dollar bill, one begins to wonder that the hell the pharos have on us.

Looming in the coming week for me is New Years. Now a year-and-a-half sober, I don't know what to do with this holiday. Going to a "meeting" and listening to the tragic, self-absorbed tales of A.A. is not tempting. Going to a party and watching the everybody actively drink themselves into who they wish they could be without drinking is also not tempting. I'm sure I will make no plans and end up doing something last minute that will involve the latter rather than the former. It's not that hard not to drink. It's just hard to be around people who are drunk without being drunk.


Alright... back soon.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home