.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sven Wechsler is a standup comic in New York. This is the blog where he posts his observational, stream-of-consciousness ramblings. For video footage and schedule, go to www.SvenWechsler.com

Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Strike!

So, the DeNiro movie thing fell through in the end. I waited on set for 12 hours only to get cut from the scene the second they started filming it. Made about $300 for the trouble. Got a union waiver, but no place in the credits. I talked to an optemetrist whose job it was to put Matt Damon's contact lenses in and take them out every day. This has been her job for 3 months. Another guys job is to be his stand in, when they're setting up camera angles and blocking. He also has been at it for months. At one point we all got champaigne and toasted Matt Damon on his marriage that day at City Hall. This may sound exciting, but honestly the whole thing was really very boring.

The MTA strike is on here in NYC and its just not easy to get anywhere. I'm going to drive into the city tonight if it kills me, because I'm getting cabin fever. I've been on message boards starting arguements and generally making a nusance of myself.

I somehow had hoped this strike would be more exciting, but it's just kind of killed things. Comedy shows are dying left and right, because comics can't get to the shows, and audiences are staying home. The coffee shops in Williamsburg are full. Lots of people trapped.

I really want to climb down into the subways and explore, since they're dead, but there are cops posted in every station, probably to keep people like me at bay. There's a whole world down there. The "Mole People" - vagrants who lived in the tunnels of the city in the 70's, 80's and 90's, have long been flushed out, but I've read that the amount of abandoned space beneath the ground in NYC is enormous. Tunnels that haven't been used since the 1800's. Abandoned subway lines....

I feel like I should comment on the holidays. But, I don't think I should feel that way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home