.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sven Wechsler is a standup comic in New York. This is the blog where he posts his observational, stream-of-consciousness ramblings. For video footage and schedule, go to www.SvenWechsler.com

Saturday, February 26, 2005

Headlined....

The Village 247 is my home base it looks like. Somehow this room full of rowdy Brooklyn drunks has welcomed me into its arms. I closed out the show tonight and got called back on stage for an encore. I feel bad, because I kind of half-assed it a little bit. I've been there so often, I figure most of them have already heard all my jokes, but I got love just the same. I have a tape from this room that I have been sending out to clubs and showcases. Only one bite so far, but I blame that more on the fact that most tapes just end up in the trash or in a pile in the corner without ever being watched.

Anyway, on the off chance that this Blog has an audience, the Village 247 is a great room. It's in the basement of a restaurant owned be a very friendly local, and the room itself is run by Tommy Amado. It's every Friday at 10 p.m. 247 Smith St. (btwn Douglass & Degraw) 718-855-2848 - You can get there by the G train, Bergen stop. The word is out among comedians, so spots are getting competetive, but the level of talent is increasing as a result.

Also, I'm working at the Boston Comedy Club in Greenwich Village now (working the door, barking people in), so I'll be going up late nights there. Dave Chappelle started at this club and he shoes up randomly often to spend an hour on stage. This is right around the corner from the Comedy Cellar (the toughest club to get into for comics in the city), so you get a lot of comics walking over to do sets while they're in the neigborhood. It's a good room to meet comics higher up the food chain, so, while I hate barking, it seems like the most worthwhile place to bark.

I've started working as an extra. Actually, my first gig is Monday, when I will be an extra on the new Law and Order. This isn't a way for me to sneak into the film and T.V. world as much as a way to make some money without having to work much or hold down a steady. You can freelance at it through a few casting companies, and it's a way to get into the union.

That's all....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home