.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sven Wechsler is a standup comic in New York. This is the blog where he posts his observational, stream-of-consciousness ramblings. For video footage and schedule, go to www.SvenWechsler.com

Saturday, February 19, 2005

Climbed Under the Old Dodge

Yep, sure did. Gas tank needed changin', and weren't nobody but me to do it. It's 25 degrees out, so I only got to takein' the old one out before I was so cold I decided to put the new one in tommorrow.

Washed off and hopped on the L to eighth street, where I got on the E up to Times Square to do a little openning set for a play. I "won" this set by answering a trivia question on another message board. Tiny black box theater over a bodega. Six people in the audience. They begged me to stay and watch the play. It's about the trials and tribulations of a young black 17-year-old coming out of the closet to
his family and... himself.

Most ham-fisted, after school special, poorly acted sack of shit to ever grace the stage. The lead character was a replacement 8 days before the show and read his lines off of the scipt in his hands, delivered in a monotone. The best actor was another guy playing a really queeny black 18-year-old. But this is probably only because he was in fact a really queeny black 18-year-old off stage as well.

I ran out as soon as the lights came up. I didn't want anybody asking me what I thought. By the way, the above play was supposed to be a comedy according to the stage manager.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home